The aircraft carrier has three modules (types) of the aircrafts:
- attack aircraft;
- torpedo bombers.
There is a squadron of each type on the deck of an aircraft carrier, however the amount of aircrafts varies depending on the ship itself. To increase their amount by 2 units of each type, it is necessary to install the "Flight Control Modification 1" upgrade.
If there are fewer aircraft than the maximum possible number, then the preparation of replacements begins and an aircraft appears on the deck, ready for takeoff. The preparation of attack aircraft, bombers and torpedo bombers runs parallel to each other and begins immediately after the squadron takes off. The preparation and recovery times of aircraft can be reduced by using the aforementioned upgrade (reduce the time by 5%) and the commander skill "Air Supremacy" (reduce the time by 5%), as well as get an improvement in the "Arms Race" mode (by 5% for one improvement).
It is possible to lift a new squadron into the air only in three cases:
- the previous squadron has used up all its ammunition and is returning to the aircraft carrier;
- all aircraft were destroyed;
- an order was given to return with the "F" key. Once it has been given, it cannot be canceled.
Returning to the aircraft carrier, the planes fly along the shortest route and, after reaching a certain altitude, they do not detect anyone and become invisible to enemy squadrons and ships. They also cannot be damaged or destroyed.
Aircraft that have successfully returned to an aircraft carrier are transferred to the reserve from where they can be called again.
Aircrafts do not start the attack with the whole group, but in units. Units swap after attack is performed. In case an aircraft was shot down during the attack, it will be replaced by another one from the squadron.
Among the general characteristics of an aircraft it`s key parameters are:
- combat effectiveness — strength of one aircraft;
- cruising speed — flight speed with ammunition;
- amount of aircraft:
- on deck;
- in the squadron;
- in the attacking unit.
- aircraft recovery time;
Despite the fact that an aircraft carrier has aircrafts of different types, all of them can conduct reconnaissance detecting enemies at a distance at which allied ships are not able to see it. This happens because the ship's visibility radius is less than the rendering radius, see the article "Detection".
At the same time, the visibility of aircraft can be reduced by 10% after learning the commander skill "Concealment Expert" and by 10% after installing the "Concealment System Modification 1" upgrade.
Furthermore, talents of some unique ship commanders can also reduce the preparation time for aircraft.
Default flight speed can be increased by 2.5% after learning the commander skill "Improved Engines".
The aircraft have a boost, which can increase the speed for a short time (press the "W" key) as follow:
- increase in cruising speed without taking into account skills and upgrades at all levels (except for the exceptions below) — 35 knots;
- Increase in cruising speed without taking into account skills and upgrades for Japanese aircraft, German Tier VIII aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin and attack aircraft of all nations — 40 knots.
Boost time and it`s full recovery time depends on the type of squadron.
|Squadron type||Boost time, sec||Full recovery time, sec|
|Torpedo bombers and bombers||20||40|
The Consumable Engine Cooling () can be used for immediate replenishment of the boost bar. Further, the duration of the boost can be increased by 10% with the "Improved Engine Boost" or with the "Aircraft Engines Modification 1" upgrade. However, the recovery time will also increase by the same amount (10%) in this case.
The parameter "Boost recovery rate" is responsible for the replenishment time acceleration. It´s base value amounts to 0.5 aircraft per second. This time can be improved in the "Arms Race" mode by 20 — 120% (20% for each improvement).
The "Last Gasp" commander skill fully restores the boost of the last aircraft unit.
The aircraft speed can be decreased by pressing the "S" key as follow:
- aircraft deceleration while pressing "S" at all levels — 26.25 knots;
- deceleration of Japanese aircraft, aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin and attack aircraft of all nations by pressing the "S" key — 30 knots.
According to these details, aircraft engine could have following indication´s:
|The Boost is running|
|The Engine is overheated, the Boost is unavailable|
|The Consumable "Engine Cooling" is running, the Boost is recovered|
The aircraft return speed can be increased by 20% by installing the "Air Group Modification 1" upgrade.
Furthermore, some special skills of unique ship commanders can alo increase the Boost running time.
All aircraft squadrons have following consumables:
- "Engine Cooling" — restores the Boost;
- "Patrol Fighters" — patrol the area around the call point.
Tier VIII — X torpedo bombers also have the "Aircraft Repair" consumable which partially restores squadron aircraft HP.
The operating time can be increased by 50% via the "Consumable Squadron Modification 1". The reload time can be reduced by 5% using the November Foxtrot flag signal.
Aircraft Combat Capability
Each aircraft has it´s own HP, which can be monitored at the bottom of the screen. The HP is divided into cells, which amount is equal to the amount of aircrafts. These cells indicate aircraft capability as follow:
- green — the plane is ok;
- yellow — the aircraft is damaged;
- red — the aircraft is heavy damaged;
- black — the plane is shot down, is returning to the carrier or the squadron has started in an incomplete composition.
The combat capability can be increased by using:
- for all aircraft:
- "Survivability Expert" commander skill — plus 25 aircraft HP points for each ship Tier;
- "Air Group Modification 2" upgrade — plus 7.5% to the aircraft survivability.
- for aircraft types:
- by the corresponding upgrade in the 4 slot.
By learning the "Aircraft Armor" commander skill it is possible to reduce the damage dealt from AA defenses by 10%. There is also a special version of this skill available which reduces the damage by 11.5%.
Torpedo bombers of Tier VIII and X aircraft carriers have the "Repair" consumable which restores 10% of their HP. The number of HP points can be also increased by 5% using the India Delta flag signal.
German bombers (except of those on Graf Zeppelin) starting from Tier VIII have at the "Repair" consumable which restores 10% of the squadron's maximum HP
Squadron selection can be done by press "1", "2" or "3" keys. Pressing the key again will lift the selected squadron into the air. "1" will lift attack aircraft, "2" - torpedo bombers (as far as available) and "3" — bombers (key "2" if there are no torpedo bombers availablbe). The squadron will include only one type of aircraft.
The squadron's speed can be controlled by "W" and "S" keys which increase or decrease it by spending the Boost. Turns are carried out using "A" and "D" keys. For easier aiming you can also use the mouse.
To start the attack you need to press the left mouse button and separate the aircraft unit from the squadron. Depending on the type of squadron, an ellipse will be visible for launching missiles or bombs, for attacking with torpedoes appears the torpedo sight. At this moment the sight will be colored yellow. A special timer will indicate the readiness for an attack launch. The sight will turns to green when planes are ready to attack.
Aim speed can be increased by learning the "Sight Stabilization" skill as follow:
- + 7.5% to the aiming speed of attack aircraft;
- + 7.5% to the aiming speed of torpedo bombers;
- + 15% to bombers aiming speed.
To attack you need to click on the left mouse button again.
The correct lead plays the key role for the successful attack. It is important to take into account the size, speed and maneuverability of the enemy ship.
The rest of the squadron's planes get out of control and follow the attacking flight until the aircraft unit ends its attack. Attacking aircraft return to the carrier to replenish ammunition. Aircraft get shot down during the attack will be replaced by another aircraft from the squadron.
In case the unit not carried out it`s attack within the allotted time the unit aircraft will return to the squadron. The attack can then be repeated.
You can look around and understand what the selected target is currently doing using the overview camera. It is activated by holding press the right mouse button. In this case the aircraft will not deviate from their current course.
Torpedo bombers are the main striking force of an aircraft carrier. They are effective against ships of all types, however their usage require a certain skills. Depending on the nation torpedo bombers carry torpedoes with different characteristics: for example, German and Japanese torpedo bombers have fastest torpedoes among aircraft carriers. There are also differences in the attacking sight and type of attack. British torpedo bombers, for example, have "converging" torpedoes which can hit the target almost at one point after accomplishing some distance.
Bombers can carry high-explosive (HE) and armor-piercing (AP) bombs. Some aircraft can also carry not only one, but several such bombs. HP bombs can cause a fire on an enemy ship. AP bombs can pierce the deck at a certain angle, otherwise, they will ricochet. AP bombs are mainly the feature of German and Japanese aircraft carriers with rare exceptions of some premium ships — Enterprise, Kaga, Erich Loewenhardt.
Attack aircraft are armed with unguided rockets. These projectiles are very effective against lightly armored shipsand are fairly easy to use. Rockets also available in two types: HE and AP. AP rockets are represented only on German aircraft carriers, except of Graf Zeppelin. The strike concept of rockets has the same similarities with bombs and ship shells — HE cause fires, while AP are capable to knocking out ship citadels. They also have disadvantages typical for these types of ammunition.
Other aircrafts in the game are fighters and spotters which belongs to many ships as Consumables (excepting destroyers). The amount of their sorties is limited. It can be increased by one flight using the "Superintendent" commander skill (does not work for aircraft carrier squadrons). They have a limited flight duration, however unlike fighters, spotter acts much longer.
Furthermore, both aircraft types can detect stealthy enemies.
Fighters patrol either the area around the ship or the area in the call point, automatically attack the approaching aircrafts. Depending on their amount the same amount of enemy units will be shot down. For example: your ship can call 2 fighters for one use of consumables. This means that only 2 attacking enemy aircraft will be shot down. As soon as this happens, the equipment will go into reload.
Spotters temporarily increases the maximum effective range of main battery guns by 20% and allows you to look at the battlefield from a higher angle. The direction of its movement also cannot be set manually. All actions are performed automatically.
When using a spotter, it is worth remembering that increasing the firing range Unsing a spotter increase not only the firing range, but also the spread of shells at a distance. Thus, not the most accurate ships may not hit the enemy in the distance at all
- Update 0.6.3:
- Manual attack by squadrons is disabled on aircraft carriers of Tier IV and V;
- For fighters, the ability to exit a battle with another squadron using a manual attack has been added. When leaving the battle with the help of a manual attack, the squadrons of all aircraft carriers leaving the battle are guaranteed to lose one aircraft, except for the Saipan squadrons, which has only 3 fighters in the squadrons. Squadrons of this aircraft carrier do not lose aircraft;
- When a carrier ship is destroyed, squadrons now remain in place after completing an order, rather than returning to the last location of the aircraft carrier;
- Fighters whose speed exceeds the speed of the target now slow down as needed and do not interrupt the attack. This will allow them to constantly keep the target at gunpoint and exclude a situation in which attack aircraft under attack could drop bombs or torpedoes without increased spread;
- Fixed a bug due to which during the Cyclone enemy squadrons were visible on the Minimap, but not displayed through the air camera;
- Changed the automatic reset parameters for US torpedo bombers:
- Martin T3M torpedo release distance decreased by 32%, approach radius decreased by 24%;
- Martin T4M torpedo release distance decreased by 32%, approach radius decreased by 25%;
- Douglas TBD torpedo release distance decreased by 28%, approach radius decreased by 24%;
- Grumman TBF torpedo release distance decreased by 26%, approach radius decreased by 21%;
- Grumman TBM-3 - torpedo release distance decreased by 24%, approach radius decreased by 20%;
- Douglas AD1 torpedo release distance decreased by 22%, approach radius decreased by 15%;
- Douglas BTD-1 - torpedo release distance decreased by 20%, approach radius decreased by 16%;
- Douglas XSB2D torpedo release distance decreased by 20%, approach radius decreased by 16%.
- Update 0.6.7:
- Fixed a bug with fighters that sometimes went into an endless approach circle while performing an Alt-Attack;
- Fixed a bug that caused the squadron cell to blink when returning to an aircraft carrier.
- Update 0.6.10:
- Fixed a bug with a penalty for the complete loss of a squadron. Now, for all upgradeable Japanese aircraft carriers, it has been reduced to a threefold increase in the preparation time (a number of aircraft carriers had 2.5).
- Update 0.6.13:
- Fixed a bug due to which the order waiting indicator was not displayed on the icon for selecting air groups in battle.
- Update 0.6.14:
- After the destruction of a squadron, the takeoff of a new squadron of the same type is no longer accompanied by a blinking attack marker, as if the previous, already destroyed squadron was still under attack;
- Squadrons are no longer marked with an order pending indicator when counting down to the start of a battle and after all squadrons of that type have been destroyed.
- Update 0.7.4:
- Improved the appearance of thin elements on American and Japanese aircraft.
- Update 0.7.6:
- Fixed a bug where a navigation point was set when clicking on a squadron.
- Update 0.8.0:
- Air groups were completely redesigned.
- Update 0.8.0.1:
- Increased the height at which returning aircraft become invulnerable to air defense. This will allow ships to fire longer on climbers after an order to return to aircraft. It will also help to combat tactics when the player gave the order to the squadron to return to the aircraft carrier immediately after the attack by the first flight;
- Changed the information features of Japanese torpedo bombers. Now, if a flight maneuvers during preparation for an attack, the sight stops converging, and when maneuvering during readiness, it begins to spread. To conduct an effective attack, you need to choose the right lead and try not to make maneuvers;
- Japanese Tier IV — VIII torpedoes have reduced the chance of sinking by about a third. German and Japanese Tier X torpedoes have their chance of sinking halved;
- For bombers, added resistance to damage when ready to attack (when the sight turns green). During this attack phase, all bombers will take 30% less damage.
- Update 0.8.0.3:
- The preparation time for an attack has been increased, which will prevent the destroyers from immediately attacking;
- The aiming parameters have been changed, now aircraft receive a large spread penalty for changing direction during an attack and will not be able to accurately drop projectiles when maneuvering;
- The maneuverability during the preparation for the attack and the attack itself is reduced, which will not allow attack aircraft to bring their sight to a maneuvering destroyer, if the approach to the attack was initially with the wrong vector, and to attack it under any conditions.
- Update 0.8.1:
- Fixed a bug where the squadron turn did not stop when pressing "Esc"/"F1" while turning;
- Fixed a bug that in rare cases led to an emergency shutdown of the client during takeoff;
- Fixed a bug where the aircraft speed changed by the Boost did not affect the speed of the dropped shells;
- Fixed a bug that caused the client to be closed urgently when there were delays in updating the camera position when flying aircraft;
- The frequency of the voice command "I am going home" has been reduced. Now the message will only play when the squadron returns to the aircraft carrier using the "F" key.
- Update 0.8.2:
- On the battle results screen, the block with damage caused by aircraft is now displayed only for aircraft carriers;
- Fixed a bug due to which bombs could fall past the sight when dropped during a link rotation;
- Fixed a bug that caused aircraft Boosts to work longer with frequent pressing of the "W"/"S" buttons;
- Fixed a bug due to which the sight of aircraft was displayed incorrectly when there are skills and upgrades that affect the speed of aircraft.
- Update 0.8.2.0.1:
- Fixed a bug in which the trajectory of falling bombs was calculated incorrectly.
- Update 0.8.3:
- Returning aircraft are no longer displayed to allies on the Minimap, since this information is valuable only for the aircraft carrier commander;
- Fixed a bug that caused the display of unnecessary interface elements and occurred when a squadron was lost while holding the "F" key;
- Fixed a bug that did not allow returning to the aircraft carrier using the "F" key after the death of a squadron;
- Fixed a bug where the indication that the engine overheat was not displayed when the W key was pressed;
- Fixed a bug where the control panel of an aircraft carrier was displayed during an attack with the last flight of a squadron;
- Fixed a bug where the squadron detection indicator was not displayed during takeoff.
- Update 0.8.4:
- Boost and deceleration are unified for all aircraft:
- Increase in cruising speed without taking into account skills and upgrades at all Tiers — 35 knots;
- Increase in cruising speed excluding skills and upgrades for Japanese aircraft, German Tier VIII aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin and attack aircraft of all nations — 40 knots.
- Aircraft slowdown when pressing "S" at all levels — 17.5 knots;
- Slowing of Japanese aircraft, aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin and attack aircraft of all nations by pressing the "S" key — 20 knots.
- Changed the mechanics of dive bombers with HE bombs:
- Increased bomb drop height;
- Sight ellipse made more elongated and narrower;
- The distribution of bombs in the sight has been changed: fewer bombs will fall closer to the center and more — to the edge of the ellipse.
- To maintain interaction with other classes at the same level, the aiming parameters are changed. Aiming will begin during preparation for an attack and will be faster, and flight maneuvers will have less effect on it.
- Fixed a bug due to which the Boost bar and the red Boost indicator disappeared when controlling a squadron;
- Fixed a bug due to which the direction of view changed when switching to the overview camera and back when controlling a squadron;
- Fixed a bug due to which the display of the squadron's sight did not change after the end of the attack time.
- Boost and deceleration are unified for all aircraft:
- Update 0.8.5:
- Fixed a bug where the sight from the squadron at the last place of bomb release was displayed on the water.
- Update 0.8.6:
- Fixed a bug due to which a voice notification was played when the action ended or destroyed allied and enemy fighters or spotters;
- Fixed a bug due to which the effect of fire could remain in the air when aircraft were landed on an aircraft carrier under AA or fighter fire.
- Update 0.8.7:
- The height that already attacking squadrons must gain in order to stop taking damage from enemy air defense has been reduced;
- Updated the progression of aviation and air defense characteristics when increasing the level of ships. Now the number of aircraft HP and AA defense damage of Tier IV – X ships will change more smoothly from tier to tier;
- Fixed a bug due to which the scale of the amount of aircraft on the deck for a player on an aircraft carrier was not completely filled when the deck was full;
- Fixed a bug due to which the camera got inside the ship when returning from the tactical map after the destruction of the squadron;
- Fixed a bug where the sight of torpedo bombers was displayed on the water after the interface was turned off;
- Fixed a bug where at the end of the battle the voice message "Fighter/Spotter destroyed" was played if the fighter / spotter was raised;
- Fixed a bug due to which bombs could sometimes fall outside the scope;
- Fighters now, if possible, attack the main group, rather than the attacking flight of aircraft.
- Update 0.8.8:
- Fixed a bug due to which, when controlling a squadron, fighters were not displayed as a threat or were displayed from the wrong side.
- Update 0.8.11:
- Fixed a bug where, after destroying an aircraft carrier, the player stopped seeing allied ships while controlling a squadron.
- Update 0.9.1:
- The view range of aircraft carrier squadrons, as well as fighters and spotters of fire, has been reduced from 20 to 19 km (this characteristic determines at what distance the aircraft is able to detect the enemy);
- Fixed a bug that led to incorrect display of smoke from attack aircraft missiles;
- Fixed a bug due to which the player displayed an incorrect crosshair icon while controlling an aircraft carrier squadron.
- Update 0.9.2:
- The view range of aircraft carrier squadrons, as well as fighters and fire spotters has been reduced from 19 to 18 km (this characteristic determines at what distance the aircraft is able to detect the enemy).
- Update 0.9.3:
- The view range of all aircraft has been reduced from 18 to 17 km;
- Fixed a bug due to which the enemy squadron's HP bar was not displayed.
- Update 0.9.4:
- The view range of all aircraft has been reduced from 17 to 16 km;
- Fixed a bug due to which the squadron's sight before the start of the attack could be displayed in the wrong place of full aim;
- Fixed a bug due to which the squadron could not attack immediately after takeoff;
- Fixed a bug due to which the damage of air bombs was applied later than they hit the target.
- Update 0.9.5:
- The view range of all aircraft has been reduced from 16 to 15 km.
- Update 0.9.8:
- Fixed errors in the names of German aircraft.
- Update 0.9.9:
- The appearance of air sights has been changed, and the airplane camera has been updated. The changes will only affect the visual component of the squadron interface and will increase the ease of aiming without affecting the gameplay;
- The names of attack aircraft modules now indicate the type of missiles — HE or AP;
- Fixed a bug due to which the last squadron raised before the destruction of the aircraft carrier fell into the water after the time elapsed instead of going to the base.
- Update 0.9.10:
- Added the ability to skip the attack animation and go to squadron control. The aircraft invulnerability time will be reduced by the duration of the skipped part of the animation;
- Fixed a bug due to which the aircraft took too long to gain the necessary altitude to return to the aircraft carrier, due to which they received too much damage;
- Fixed a bug due to which missiles and bombs could hit the wrong sight if the attack was carried out during a climb;
- The bug due to which the color of the aircraft's HP indicator did not match the aircraft's HP has been fixed;
- Updated text in tooltips for squadrons and their consumables.
- Update 0.9.11:
- Added the ability to disable screen shaking when taking damage and using a Boost by squadrons using the "Damage feedback" setting on the "Control" tab;
- Fixed a bug due to which the indicators of range to the aiming point, visibility and projectile flight time in the alternative mode of the combat interface were not displayed for aircraft in battle;
- Fixed a bug due to which the sound of a falling bomb was played in situations when there was no aircraft nearby;
- Fixed a bug due to which the engine sounds for spotter aircraft were missing.