To cause a detonation to occur, damage needs to be dealt to the magazines, which are found underneath the primary turrets and/or primary artillery. In other words ships, like Novik, that have non-enclosed rifles behind blast shields have magazines located beneath the deck. Damage to the magazines can be caused by penetrating damage from direct hits by armor-piercing shells or splash damage from high explosive shells or torpedoes.
It should be noted that there is no situation in the game that warrants a 100% detonation chance. With that said, certain actions or choices will increase the probability of Detonation; a few of them are highlighted below:
- Damage to a magazine increases the chances of detonation occurring. When a magazine loses all of its health points (HP), the chance of detonation will increase to its maximum native value. (Note that this is still below 100%.) Each ship has its own metric for calculating detonation chance based upon magazine HP.
- Aircraft carriers and submarines cannot detonate since they have no magazine.
- Each ship has its own armor value for the magazines, therefore ships with thinner magazine armor have a higher detonation chance.
- Mounting either India X-Ray or Juliet Whiskey Unaone increases magazine detonation chance.
- A ship with a health pool greater than 75% of its maximum cannot detonate.
- A damage source that drops a ship's HP below 75% will not itself cause a detonation. However, the next hit might.
- Example: A ship at 80% health is hit by a salvo of three shells, each causing 10% damage. The hits are evaluated in order. The first drops the ship HP to 70%; the next two each have a chance to detonate the magazines (all other conditions met).
A magazine detonation is fatal to the ship. The Detonated achievement is awarded (in modes where achievement awards are enabled.)
The chance of detonation can be decreased in these ways:
- Mounting the Juliet Charlie signal flag pegs the chance of magazine detonation to 0%, making detonation impossible.
- Using Magazine Modifications 1 as the module upgrade in Slot 1 decreases the chance of magazine detonation by 70%. (With Juliet Charlie available, there is little point to this upgrade.)
- Avoid taking torpedo hits near the magazines.
- Use angling to increase the effective thickness of the ship's armor and increase the possibility of a bounce. Presenting the bow, or if necessary the stern, to incoming fire at a steep angle also minimizes the apparent size of the target (you). Presenting flat broadside to incoming fire increases the chance of detonation.
- Unless overridden by the Juliet Charlie signal.
- Update 0.7.2