|140 mm/40 11th Year Type1 х 1 pcs.|
|Rate of Fire33.33 shots/min.|
|Reload Time1.8 sec.|
|Rotation Speed25 deg./sec.|
|180 Degree Turn Time7.2 sec.|
|Firing RangeExpression error: Unexpected * operator. km.|
|Maximum Dispersion44 m.|
|Maximum SAP Shell Damage2,750|
|Initial SAP Shell Velocity700 m./s.|
|533 mm6 х 1 pcs.|
|Rate of Fire1.71 shots/min.|
|Reload Time35 sec.|
|Rotation Speed12 deg./sec.|
|180 Degree Turn Time15 sec.|
|TorpedoType95 mod. 3|
|Torpedo Speed78 knot|
|Torpedo Range6.021 km.|
|Maximum Speed29 knot|
|Turning Circle Radius670 m.|
|Rudder Shift Time9 sec.|
|Surface Detectability Range7.12 km.|
|Air Detectability Range2.63 km.|
I-56 — Japanese special premium Tier VIII submarine.
A large "cruiser-type" submarine (Type B3). Her main armament comprises six torpedo launchers concentrated in the bow, and her additional armament consists of a 140 mm deck gun.
I-56 was first released for sale with the release of Update 0.11.9 on 05 October 2022, initially available in the Armory in random doubloon bundles. She was added to the Armory and Premium Shop permanently on 17 March 2023.
|Rate of Fire|
|180° Turn Time|
|Maximum HE Shell Damage|
|Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell|
|Maximum AP Shell Damage
|140 mm/40 11th Year Type||33.3||7.2||44||0||0|
|Secondary Gun Turrets|
|Rate of Fire|
|Torpedo Tubes Reload Time|
|180° Turn Time|
|Type95 mod. 3||1.7||35||15||10,800||78||6||0||0|
| Slot 1
| Slot 2
| Slot 3
| Slot 4
| Slot 5
I-56 is the first Japanese premium submarine in the game. She is well equipped in terms of offense, having fast loading torpedoes and long range, high alpha conventional torpedoes. She is the first submarine introduced with a player controlled deck mounted gun.
I-56’s survivability is high, with a high HP pool of 24,200. Her armor is nonexistent, with her exterior hull covered in 16mm and 19mm plates. Players should be careful not to be spotted on the surface for extended periods of time, as she will suffer heavy damage.
I-56’s maneuverability and concealment are very poor for a submarine. Her rudder shift and turning radius are comparable to that of a cruiser, at 9 seconds and 670 meters. Her surface concealment, at 7.12km, is very bad for her tier (outspotted by almost every destroyer in her matchmaking spread).
She has a good speed of 29 knots when surfaced. However, her underwater speed is slow at 13 knots. The poor underwater speed means she is not fast enough to outrun destroyers and her hull can be vulnerable to depth charges. Careful positioning is vital in order to not be stuck in bad situations where her speed will not bail her out.
I-56 has very bad diving plane shift time, taking 26 seconds to fully dive and to surface. This means diving after being spotted leaves a significant time for enemy capital ships and cruisers to drop depth charges accurately and deal damage. I-56’s Dive Capacity recharge time is improved at 2 units a second. However, she has a very low Dive Capacity reserve, at 120 units, allowing her to stay underwater for only 2 minutes.
I-56’s sonar is a helpful tool for dealing damage using homing torpedoes. The velocity is decent at 600m/s and a fast reload time of 6.5 seconds is enough to double ping reliably. The biggest downside is the low range of 6km (same as the range of homing torpedoes) meaning the sonar should only be used as a last resort.
I-56’s homing torpedoes allow for short range torpedo attacks. The homing torpedoes have a very short range at 6km. They deal high damage at 10,800, travel fast at 78 knots, and have a 62% flooding chance. While her homing torpedoes are good at short range, I-56 is considerably more vulnerable at closer ranges due to having bad surface concealment and bad Dive Capacity (meaning she cannot surface to recharge her batteries without being spotted when in range of enemy ships). Due to having 6 bow torpedo tubes, these torpedoes can be used for shotgunning (with a maximum alpha strike of 64,800. Both homing and conventional torpedoes have the same reload time, 35 seconds. I-56’s homing torpedoes should only be used as a last resort, as its low range limits flexibility in dealing damage. Players should not look to shotgun targets unless isolated targets present themselves.
I-56’s conventional torpedoes are the highlight of the submarine. The torpedoes have a high range of 12.5km, high damage at 14,300, and travel fast at 73 knots. The torpedoes also have a great flood chance at 85%. With 6 bow tubes, a full salvo can deal an alpha strike of 85,800, highest amongst Tier VIII submarines. She does not have any stern torpedo launchers.
I-56 is unique as a submarine as it has a controllable 140mm deck gun. The singular gun has a range of 8.5km and a reload time of 1.8s. As with all submarines, it can only load and fire SAP ammunition. It is largely useless due to its poor range and that it exposes the hull while firing, usually leading to a quick trip back to port.
I-56 has a standard Damage Control Party, with three charges stock and a long 15 second duration. This makes her relatively safe from module and damage over time effects as long as players can go undetected within the 15 second period. Players should be careful not to exhaust their limited charges or she will rapidly lose HP to flood and fire damage.
I-56 has access to the Reserve Battery Unit consumable, found on German submarines. It stops the depletion of Dive Capacity for 30 seconds per consumable and has a 90 second reload time. I-56 comes with 2 base charges of the consumable, extending her time underwater for an extra minute.
She also has access to Hydrophone, allowing her to track the location of surface ships while underwater. It has a 7km range, 30 seconds action time, and a 80 second reload time. However, she only has access to 1 base charge of the consumable.
Notably, She does not gain access to Submarine surveillance, meaning she is completely blind to enemy submarines.
I-56 is a unique submarine that plays more as a Japanese Torpedo destroyer rather than a traditional submarine. She is much more offense oriented, equipped with hard hitting conventional torpedoes that can be fired every 35 seconds. This comes at a cost of bad concealment, short battery time, limited information consumables, and overall poor mobility.
I-56 is best played close to teammates, as her bad rudder shift time, turning radius, and diving plane shift time means being caught isolated will lead to a quick death. Alongside allies, I-56 can constantly fire long range torpedoes to harass and provide area denial in key areas. Afterwards, she can provide spotting on targets that cannot easily spot her back. I-56 cannot spot enemy submarines as she has no Submarine surveillance consumable. She must rely on allied ships to spot enemy submarines for her.
I-56, like all submarines, can resort to shotgun attacks but will end up heavily damaged or destroyed due to lackluster agility. Her worst in class diving capacity and concealment means surfacing deep in enemy lines will lead to death. Her best in class HP pool is useful for negating some damage, but it is not advised to be exposed to enemy ASW for long periods of time.I-56 is an offense oriented submarine, and her playstyle mainly involves pumping torpedoes into enemy ships from a distance. Her strengths and weaknesses are shown through the emphasis on torpedo damage and reload while sacrificing utility, survivability, and agility.
- High HP pool
- Long range conventional torpedoes with high damage
- Best in tier torpedo reload time
- All torpedo tubes are on her bow and reload at the same time
- Controllable SAP deck gun
- Fast surface speed
- Access to the Reserve Battery Unit consumable
- Nonexistent armor
- Short range homing torpedoes
- Bad Turning Radius and Ruddershift time
- Very bad Diving Plane Shift time
- Bad concealment
- Does not have access to Submarine surveillance
- Slow underwater speed
- Very poor battery capacity
The recommended upgrades are:
- Slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1 or Damage Control Party Modification 1
- Slot 2: Damage Control System Modification 1
- Slot 3: Dive Capacity Modification 1
- Slot 4: Propulsion Modification 1
- Slot 5: Submarine Steering Gears Modification 3
I-56 equips the following consumables:
- Slot 1: Damage Control Party – 3 charges
- Slot 2: Hydrophone – 1 charge
- Slot 3: Reserve Battery Unit – 2 charges
As a premium ship, I-56 comes with Default permanent camouflage and a set of permanent combat bonuses.
|Recommended Signal Flags|
Juliet Whiskey Unaone
Mike Yankee Soxisix
Note: Use of the Juliet Charlie signal makes detonation impossible.
- Laid down:
- ? tons displacement, standard
- ?m length
- ?m beam
- ?m draft (mean)
- 12 boilers, 3 turbines [e.g.]
- ? knots at ? shaft horsepower
- ?nm range at ? knots
- Main belt: ?mm
- Torpedo bulkhead: ?mm
- Decks: ?mm main, ?mm upper deck
- Turrets: ?mm
- Conning tower: ?mm
- ? (?x?) ?mm rifles
- ? (?x?) ?mm dual purpose? rifles
- ? (?x?) ?mm guns
- ? (?x?) ?mm torpedo tubes
Ship Change Log
See here for links to Update notes.
- Available for testing by supertesters in the game starting from Update 0.11.6.
- Preliminary characteristics.
- Changes to speed and turning circle radius:
- Surface speed: from 27 to 29 knots.
- Underwater speed: from 15 to 13 knots.
- Turning circle radius: from 750 to 670 meters.
- Changes to speed and turning circle radius:
- Removed the Hydrophone consumable.
- Added the Echo-Ranging Set consumable with the following settings:
- Action time: 30 s.
- Reload time: 80 s.
- Interval between pings: 6 s.
- Ship bearing effect duration: 4 s.
- Ship bearing distance: 7 km.
- Number of charges: 1.
- Added the Reserve Battery Unit consumable with the following settings:
- Reload time: 90 s.
- Action time: 30 s.
- Number of charges: 2.
- Update 0.11.7:
- Renamed the Echo-Ranging Set consumable to the Hydrophone consumable.
- Renamed the Low-Frequency Hydrophone consumable to the Submarine Surveillance consumable.
- Disabled guaranteed detection for the submarine in the submerged position.
- The visual effects above the submarine when using sonar is now also displayed for the submarine herself.
- Main battery reload time reduced from 2.25 to 1.8 s.
- Update 0.11.8:
- Added a visual distinction between the effect of acoustic homing torpedoes and regular ones.
- Fixed a bug that caused Credits to be deducted for resupplying only a part of the submarine's ammunition.
- Fixed a bug that caused tooltips to overlap the screen with the composition of teams when playing the submarine.
- Update 0.11.9:
- Available in random bundles in the Armory for doubloons.
- Main Battery Modification 2 added in upgrade slot 3.
- Aiming Systems Modification 1 added in upgrade slot 3.
- Readded the ping movement effect.
- Added a special indicator to notify players when there is little diving capacity remaining.
- Updated the set of sound effects for torpedo launching.
- Updated the icon for acoustic homing torpedoes.
- Update 12.1:
- Fixed a bug that caused the main battery gun on the submarine to start rotating underwater when re-entering a battle.
- Available in the Armory and Premium Shop permanently on 17 March 2023, during Update 12.1.