|203 mm/55 Mk.15 in a turret4 х 3 pcs.|
|Rate of Fire5.45 shots/min.|
|Reload Time11 sec.|
|Rotation Speed6 deg./sec.|
|180 Degree Turn Time30 sec.|
|Firing Range14.14 km.|
|Maximum Dispersion140 m.|
|HE Shell203 mm HE/HC Mk25|
|Maximum HE Shell Damage2,800|
|Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell14 %|
|Initial HE Shell Velocity823 m./s.|
|HE Shell Weight118 kg.|
|AP Shell203 mm AP Mk21|
|Maximum AP Shell Damage5,000|
|Initial AP Shell Velocity762 m./s.|
|AP Shell Weight152 kg.|
|127 mm/38 Mk.12 on a Mk.32 mount6 х 2 pcs.|
|Firing Range6.95 km.|
|Rate of Fire10 shots/min.|
|Reload Time6 sec.|
|HE Shell127 mm HE Mk32|
|Maximum HE Shell Damage1,800|
|Initial HE Shell Velocity792 m./s.|
|Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell5 %|
|127 mm/38 Mk.12 on a Mk.32 mount6 х 2 pcs.|
|. . . Average Damage per Second90.6|
|. . . Firing Range5.01 km.|
|20 mm Oerlikon on a Mk.4 mount16 х 1 pcs.|
|. . . Average Damage per Second57.6|
|. . . Firing Range2.01 km.|
|40 mm/56 Bofors on a Mk.2 mount4 х 4 pcs.|
|. . . Average Damage per Second63.6|
|. . . Firing Range3.51 km.|
|40 mm/56 Bofors on a Mk.1 mount11 х 2 pcs.|
|. . . Average Damage per Second124.3|
|. . . Firing Range3.51 km.|
|Maximum Speed33 knot|
|Turning Circle Radius800 m.|
|Rudder Shift Time15.7 sec.|
|Surface Detectability Range13.21 km.|
|Air Detectability Range8.02 km.|
Buffalo — American Tier IX cruiser.
As part of the development of cruisers capable of achieving a speed of 35 knots, various options were explored, including improvements to existing ships or the designs of ships already under construction. Three design variants for the "improved Wichita"-class cruiser were presented. Among the various options, the most promising one involved adding an extra main battery turret, thereby increasing the total number of turrets to four; however, challenges arose when attempting to install the power plant on the hull to achieve the desired speed. The ship was ultimately designed to reach a speed of 33 knots only. As a result, these projects were abandoned.
|Rate of Fire|
|180° Turn Time|
|Maximum HE Shell Damage|
|Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell|
|Maximum AP Shell Damage
|203 mm/55 Mk.15 in a turret||5.5||30||140||2,800||14||5,000||0||1,100,000|
|Secondary Gun Turrets|
|Maximum Firing Range
|Mk9 mod. 1||0||0||985,000|
|Mk9 mod. 2||0||24,000||2,000,000|
| Slot 1
| Slot 2
| Slot 3
| Slot 4
| Slot 5
| Slot 6
Warning. The data presented in the AA Defense sidebar section may be incorrect.
For a graphic summary of ships Tiers VIII thru XI see LittleWhiteMouse's "Actual AA DPS".
Buffalo is, by and large, a direct upgrade from Baltimore before her. Carrying twelve 8" rifles in four triple turrets, two fore and two aft, 47,800 hitpoints, decent armor, excellent gun handling, and powerful AA, Buffalo has the makings of a truly powerful heavy cruiser. As a high tier American cruiser, Buffalo has three consumable slots beyond Damage Control Party - A choice between Defensive AA Fire and Hydroacoustic Search , A choice between Spotting Aircraft , Catapult Fighter , and Surveillance Radar , and Repair Party . Thanks to her high health, Buffalo enjoys one of the most potent Repair Party heals for cruisers of her tier. Buffalo has the tools to face any opponent, with her famed American anti-aircraft power capable of fending off planes, Radar for hunting down destroyers, American super-heavy AP shells that can make a mess of cruisers, and a heavy HE broadside coupled with her accuracy makes scoring nearly-full salvos on battleships easy.
Against other cruisers of her tier, however, Buffalo is sorely lacking torpedoes. While she can fend off most other cruisers, she lacks the alpha-strike potential that comes from torpedoes to allow her to deal with battleships quickly, against which she can find herself outmatched in a prolonged brawl. Buffalo fights best against enemy battleships at medium to long range, using islands as cover, as she is a large target. The other issue with Buffalo is her limited range, at only 15.6km, the shortest range of all current Tier IX cruisers. This can be mitigated, but it requires sacrificing either Radar for the Spotting Aircraft, or equipping Gun Fire Control System Mod 2 in her 6th Upgrade slot.
- Boasts superior firepower to most of her contemporaries.
- Third highest health pool among Tier IX cruisers at 47,800 hit points.
- Excellent all-around survivability for a cruiser.
- Powerful AA suite, as is standard with American ships.
- Decent concealment.
- Large size makes her an easier target.
- Suffers from one of the longest reloads for cruisers of her tier.
- Shortest main battery range among all Tier IX cruisers.
- Very poor torpedo damage reduction at only 4%.
- Relatively sluggish compared to its predecessor and contemporaries, with a larger turning circle and significantly longer rudder shift time when stock.
Availability of researchable upgrades for Buffalo is as follows:
- Hull: Upgrade to Hull (B) for improved health, AA, and rudder shift. Research of this module unlocks progression to Des Moines.
- Gun Fire Control System: Upgrade to Gun Fire Control System for an extra 10% range on the main battery.
The recommended upgrades for Buffalo are as follows:
- Slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1
- Slot 2: Engine Room Protection or Surveillance Radar Modification 1
- Slot 3: Aiming Systems Modification 1
- Slot 4: Propulsion Modification 1 or Steering Gears Modification 1
- Slot 5: Concealment System Modification 1
- Slot 6: Main Battery Modification 3
|Recommended Commander Skills|
Focus Fire Training
Top Grade Gunner
AAA & ASW Expert
|Key: ★★★ - Extremely Useful ★★ - Frequently Useful ★ - Occasionally Useful No stars - Not Useful|
Buffalo can equip the following consumables:
- Slot 1: Damage Control Party
- Slot 2: Defensive AA Fire or Hydroacoustic Search
- Slot 3: Spotting Aircraft or Catapult Fighter or Surveillance Radar
- Slot 4: Repair Party
USS Buffalo, 1940 design
- 17,000 long tons displacement, standard
- 20,000 long tons displacement, trial
- 210.32m length
- 23.47m beam
- 7.31m draft
- 4 boilers, 4 turbines
- 33 knots at 120,000 shaft horsepower
- 12,000 nm at 15 knots
- Main belt: 193mm
- Decks: 76mm
- Bulkheads: 193mm
- Barbettes and Turrets: 197mm barbette, 229mm face,
101mm-52mm side (tapered), 51mm rear, 76mm roof
- Conning tower: 206mm side, 76mm top
- Twelve (4x3) 203mm/55 caliber guns
- Twelve (6x2) 127mm/38 caliber guns
- Sixteen (4x4) 28mm machine guns
- Eight (2x4) 533mm torpedo tubes
- Four floatplanes (Vought OS2U "Kingfishers"
or Curtiss SOC "Seagulls")
Buffalo corresponds with the Bureau of Ships design study CA-B, submitted to the General Board on 18 September 1940.
Ship Change Log
See here for links to Update notes.
- Available for testing by supertesters in the game starting from Update 0.7.3.
- Preliminary characteristics.
- Main battery reload time was decreased from 15 to 13 s.
- Hull plating was increased from 25 to 27 mm.
- Base detectability range was increased from 13.14 to 13.62 km.
- Detectability after firing main guns in smoke was increased from 7.6 to 7.98 km.
- Main battery reload time was reduced from 13 to 12 s.
- Introduced in Update 0.7.5.
- Update 0.7.7:
- Sigma increased from 2.0 to 2.05 σ.
- Update 0.7.10:
- The range of the Hydroacoustic Search consumable was unified - 5 km for detecting ships, 3.5 km for detecting torpedoes.
- Update 0.7.11:
- Main battery reload time reduced from 13 to 12 s.
- Update 0.9.2:
- The thickness of the armor was changed: the central section was reinforced from 25 mm to 27 mm.
- Update 0.9.3:
- Minor fixes to textures and ship model.
- Update 0.9.7:
- The Spotting Aircraft consumable was added to the base hull.
- Update 0.9.8:
- Minor fixes to textures and geometry of the ship.
- Update 0.9.10:
- The distribution of HP in the hull was slightly updated.
- Update 0.10.0:
- The firing range of the secondary battery was increased to 6.95 km.
- Update 0.10.10:
- Main battery reload time reduced from 12 to 11.5 s.
- Update 0.11.4:
- Surveillance Radar consumable action time decreased from 35 to 30 s.
- Surveillance Radar consumable is now the default consumable option for the slot.
- Update 12.0:
- Main battery reload time reduced from 11.5 to 11 seconds.