|127 mm/50 3rd Year Type on a Type C mount2 х 2 / 1 х 1 pcs.|
|Rate of Fire8 shots/min.|
|Reload Time7.5 sec.|
|Rotation Speed6 deg./sec.|
|180 Degree Turn Time30 sec.|
|Firing Range10 km.|
|Maximum Dispersion97 m.|
|HE Shell127 mm HE Type1|
|Maximum HE Shell Damage2,150|
|Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell9 %|
|Initial HE Shell Velocity915 m./s.|
|HE Shell Weight23 kg.|
|AP Shell127 mm AP Type0|
|Maximum AP Shell Damage2,200|
|Initial AP Shell Velocity915 m./s.|
|AP Shell Weight23 kg.|
|610 mm Quad2 х 4 pcs.|
|Rate of Fire0.64 shots/min.|
|Reload Time94 sec.|
|Rotation Speed25 deg./sec.|
|180 Degree Turn Time7.2 sec.|
|TorpedoType8 mod. 2|
|Torpedo Speed59 knot|
|Torpedo Range9.99 km.|
|25 mm/60 Type 96 on a single mount4 х 1 pcs.|
|. . . Average Damage per Second7.2|
|. . . Firing Range2.49 km.|
|Maximum Speed34 knot|
|Turning Circle Radius590 m.|
|Rudder Shift Time4.4 sec.|
|Surface Detectability Range6.66 km.|
|Air Detectability Range2.78 km.|
Shiratsuyu — Japanese Tier VII destroyer.
Developed from the Hatsuharu-class destroyers but was equipped with more powerful torpedo armament. However the ship was slightly slower than her predecessors. She was the first of the Japanese fleet destroyers to be equipped with quadruple torpedo tubes.
|Rate of Fire|
|180° Turn Time|
|Maximum HE Shell Damage|
|Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell|
|Maximum AP Shell Damage
|127 mm/50 3rd Year Type on a Type B / Type C mount||8||30||97||2,150||9||2,200||0||410,000|
|Secondary Gun Turrets|
|Rate of Fire|
|Torpedo Tubes Reload Time|
|180° Turn Time|
|Type8 mod. 2||0.6||94||7.2||16,266||59||10||0||400,000|
|Type90 mod. 1||0.6||101||7.2||17,233||62||10||16,000||1,300,000|
|Firing Range Increase|
|Maximum Firing Range
|Type7 mod. 1||0||10||0||235,000|
|Type7 mod. 2||10||11||6,200||500,000|
Shiratsuyu is the Tier VII entry in the IJN "gunboat" branch of the tech tree. She can be played as a gunboat, however, she also plays like an entry in the "torpedo boat" branch, as if unsure to which she belongs.
Shiratsuyu is an improvement upon Hatsuharu in a few small but notable ways.
The first is Shiratsuyu’s main battery guns. She has one more barrel than her immediate predecessor, carrying 5 guns with a longer range. With them she poses a significant threat to other destroyers, should her captain decide to use her guns. They boast high alpha strike potential that can take large chunks out of enemy destroyers, though the rather long reload time prevents her from winning prolonged gun fights against gunboat destroyers. The high fire chance also equals that of Vauquelin. Combined with above-average damage per shell and excellent concealment, Shiratsuyu is more than capable of finding and ambushing crippled destroyers, finishing them off with her main battery. Otherwise, her guns should really only be used when in smoke, when able to break line of sight quickly by ducking behind an island, or when in situations where she has adequate support from her allies without the threat of significant return fire.
Her improved torpedo armament is also of note. Shiratsuyu moves from the two triple-tube launchers found on Hatsuharu to a pair of quadruple-tube launchers. She can also upgrade to the Type 90 torpedo if desired, increasing the punch and speed of her fish. Shiratsuyu also gains access to an improved version of the Torpedo Reload Booster consumable that drops her reload to only 5 seconds, and has a cooldown of 160 seconds when compared to the 240 seconds of most other ships with this consumable. Using the Booster allows Shiratsuyu to put up to 16 torpedoes into the water in a very short amount of time. However, installing the Booster is not an easy choice as she must give up her Smoke Generator to do so.
While she retains Hatsuharu’s low detection radius, her anti-aircraft suite actually gets worse. Shiratsuyu’s speed and rudder shift performance are also a downgrade; while the latter is not really noticeable, the former definitely is. She is highly vulnerable to enemy aircraft and gunboat destroyers that are faster than she is (such as Sims, Kiev, or Leningrad).Nonetheless, Shiratsuyu is a well-rounded Tier VII destroyer with excellent torpedoes and guns that are more than capable of contributing to her damage output when used judiciously in the right situations.
- Much improved main battery guns over Hatsuharu: more barrels and longer range.
- HE shells have good damage and good fire chance.
- Strong torpedo armament: two quadruple-tube launchers with not-unreasonable reload time (95 seconds).
- Torpedos have high damage and reasonable speed that allows players to get more damage and torpedo hits.
- Can equip the powerful Torpedo Reload Booster .
- Excellent 5.8 concealment(with concealment expert) that allows her to get really close to enemy ships and launch torpedos with high hit rates.
- Overall, plays more like a tier 7 version of Kagero with one less gun and easier matchmaking.
- Smallest health pool of all Tier VII destroyers, will not last long in a gunfight against rapid firing gun ships.
- Main battery traverse time is painfully slow with equally slow reload time. Situationally useful, but not really those of a "gunboat".
- Main battery range is not as good as other destroyers at her tier.
- When using Torpedo Reload Booster she is extremely vulnerable to planes and rapid firing ships when detected.
- Anti-aircraft suite is terrible, in fact even worse than Hatsuharu.
- Slowest top speed of any Tier VII destroyer and slow rudder shift.
Prioritize Hull (B) for ~10% more health, a significantly better rudder shift time, and less terrible AA. Hull (B) also unlocks Tier VIII Akizuki, a true gunboat.After the hull, the improved torpedoes and longer range are captain's choice.
- Slot 1: Main Armaments Modification 1
- Slot 2: Engine Room Protection
- Slot 3: Aiming Systems Modification 1 or Main Battery Modification 2 *
- Slot 4: Propulsion Modification 1
In slot 3, Torpedo Tubes Modification 1 is a reasonable choice for a straight torpedo boat build.
Commander skill points are best spent on the level 2 Last Stand skill, which allows the engine and the rudder to function with a penalty when the would usually be incapacitated. This skill is highly advised for all destroyers. Mastering the level 4 skill Concealment Expert, lowers detection range, is also strongly encouraged.
While Shiratsuyu is very much a torpedo oriented destroyer, the subsequent destroyers Akizuki at tier VIII; Kitakaze at tier IX; and Harugumo at tier X are also very much gunboat destroyers. As such, it is advisable to consider resetting captain skills to suit a gunboat destroyer after grinding through Shiratsuyu, or pick up such skills towards the end of the grind, depending on resources available to you.
|Recommended Commander Skills|
Grease the Gears
Incoming Fire Alert
Fill the Tubes
Swift in Silence
|Key: ★★★ - Extremely Useful ★★ - Frequently Useful ★ - Occasionally Useful No stars - Not Useful|
Shiratsuyu can equip the following consumables:
Type 1, 2, or 5 camouflage can be equipped for credits; Types 1 or 5 are recommended at a minimum to reduce detectability range.
Players who wish to spend doubloons can equip Shiratsuyu with Type 17 camouflage that lowers her detection radius, reduces the accuracy of incoming shells, reduces her repair costs, and increases the amount of experience she earns.
SignalsSierra Mike is probably the single most important signal flag that Shiratsuyu captains can equip. Other recommended flags would be Juliet Whiskey Unaone, Juliet Charlie, and — given how important some of her consumables are — November Foxtrot.
Shiratsuyu uses every available weapon against an enemy Colorado class battleship.
- Sasebo Naval Arsenal: Nagasaki, Japan
- Laid down: 14 November 1933
- Launched: 5 April 1935
- Commissioned: 7 September 1936
- 1,685 tons displacement, standard
- 107.5m length
- 9.9m beam
- 3.5m draft
- 3 boilers, 2 turbines
- 34 knots at 42,000 shaft horsepower
- 4,000nm at 14 knots
- Five (2x2, 1x1) 127mm dual purpose guns
- Two (2x1) 13mm guns
- Eight (2x4) 610mm torpedo tubes
Originally planned to be built as Hatsuharu class destroyers, Shiratsuyu and her sister ships had their design altered following the discovery of the stability issues with the preceding vessels. The draft of the ship was greatly increased while beam was decreased slightly. Her superstructure was also significantly smaller than that on Hatsuharu. Additionally, the destroyer’s armament and armament placement were slightly altered. The second turret was mounted on the aft of the ship and the third torpedo launcher was removed but the existing ones were replaced with quadruple launchers. Shiratsuyu also retained the same machinery used on Hatsuharu but due to the greater displacement, was significantly slower.
Like the Hatsuharu class destroyers, many of the Shiratsuyu class ships had one of their gun mounts replaced with additional small-caliber anti-aircraft weapons. Additional 25mm guns were added throughout World War II as well as small radar systems.
Ten of this further iteration of the Hatsuharu class were built.
DesDiv 2 (Murasame, Yudachi, Harusame, Samidare) Participated in the invasions of the Netherlands East Indies. Present for the Battle of the Java Sea. Assigned to the main body during the Battle of Midway. Escorted troop convoys to Guadalcanal during the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. Engaged in further troop transports to Guadalcanal. Present for the Naval Battles of Guadalcanal. Participated in the Battle of Kula Gulf. Engaged in convoy escort duties through 1943 and 1944.
- Murasame was sunk by surface gunfire and torpedo during the Battle of Kula Gulf on 5 March 1943.
- Yudachi was sunk by surface gunfire during the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal on 13 November 1942.
- Harusame was sunk by air attack off New Guinea on 8 June 1944.
- Samidare was torpedoed and sunk by a submarine on 25 August 1944.
DesDiv 22 (Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze) Participated in the invasions of the Netherlands East Indies. Present for the Battle of the Java Sea. Assigned to the main body during the Battle of Midway. Formed part of the Striking Force screen during the Battle of Santa Cruz. Engaged in further troop transports to Guadalcanal. Present for the Naval Battles of Guadalcanal. Participated in the Battle of Tassafaronga. Participated in the Battle of Vella Gulf. Engaged in convoy escort duties through 1943 and 1944.
- Umikaze was torpedoed and sunk by a submarine on 20 January 1944.
- Yamakaze was torpedoed and sunk by a submarine on 25 June 1942.
- Kawakaze was sunk by surface gunfire and torpedo during the Battle of Vella Gulf on 7 August 1943.
- Suzukaze was torpedoed and sunk by a submarine on 25 January 1944.
DesDiv 27 (Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Ariaki, Yugure) Joined CarDiv 2 (Hiryu, Soryu) for operations in the Netherlands East Indies. Participated in the Battle of the Coral Sea. Participated in the Battle of Midway as part of the Aleutian diversionary force. Transported troops to Guadalcanal. Present for the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. Escorted convoys in the South and Central Pacific. Participated in the Battle of Vella Gulf. Participated in the Battle off Horaniu. Participated in the Battle of Vella Lavella. Participated in the Battle of Empress Augusta Bay. Participated in the Battle of the Philippine Sea. Participated in the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
- Shiratsuyu collided with a tanker and was sunk on 15 June 1944.
- Shigure, often considered the luckiest ship in the Japanese fleet, survived every engagement in which she fought, but was finally torpedoed and sunk by submarine off Malaya on 24 January 1945.
- Japanese destroyer Shiratsuyu (1935) - Wikipedia
- Japanese Destroyers - Shiratsuyu - World of Warships Official Channel - YouTube
- Shiratsuyu-class destroyer - Wikipedia
Ship Change Log
See here for links to Update notes.
- Available for testing by supertesters in the game starting from Update 0.5.12.
- Introduced into the game as a researchable ship of the alternative IJN Destroyer branch in Update 0.5.15.
- Update 0.6.2:
- The national flag was moved from the stern to the mast.
- Update 0.6.6:
- Fixed errors in the deck armor, now is all 16 mm.
- Fixed racks for attaching wires to the main battery.
- Update 0.6.8:
- The reload time of the Torpedo Reload Booster consumable was reduced:
- Torpedo Reload Booster I - from 360 to 240 s.
- Torpedo Reload Booster II - from 240 to 160 s.
- The Torpedo Reload Booster consumable was moved to the same slot as the Smoke Generator consumable.
- Improved appearance with the use of a special technology for rendering thin elements (mainly rigging).
- The reload time of the Torpedo Reload Booster consumable was reduced:
- Update 0.6.12:
- Detectability when firing main guns in smoke changed to 2.49 km.
- Update 0.6.13:
- Fire extinguishing time now 30 s instead of 60 s.
- Update 0.6.15:
- For the permanent Type 17 camouflage, the discount on ship maintenance was increased from -5% to -10%.
- Update 0.7.2:
- Players who have collected the "Uniforms" sub-collection of the "Yamomoto Isoroku" collection can use an alternate permanent camouflage color.
- Update 0.7.6:
- Fixed a bug due to which the sound of the ship's main battery did not match the caliber of the guns.
- Improved display of thin elements on the hull.
- Update 0.7.11:
- HE shell damage increased from 1,800 to 2,150, fire change increased from 7 to 9%.